Vacating and ending lease
Have sent notice to real estate agent, and they've confirmed receipt. Vacate date is 10th August.
- Current rent and utility split is 6:5:5
- Rent is 1120 per fortnight (420:350:350)
- Utilities is 160 per fortnight (60:50:50)
- Last rent payment was on July 20th, that covers July 20th to August 2nd inclusive (14 days)
- Remaining payment period is thus Aug 3rd to Aug 10th inclusive (8 days * $80/day)
Stuff to do and pay
- Pay final $640 rent on Aug 1st, covering 8 days (split 240:200:200)
- Skip the final utilities contribution because we don't need to save more
- Close account for AGL electricity, pay any outstanding amount
- Close acconnt for TPG internet, pay any outstanding amount
- Hire cleaners to do carpets and overall thorough clean
- Split remaining utilities account money 6:5:5
- Jason has sent $640 ahead of time, which will cover rent any remaining expenses (which I don't think we'll have any of). That should split 200 for rent and 440 to return.
- Get bond money back, split 50:50 with Jason, should be 1100 each
Get Jason's MonHan mug back to him
Handover tasks on or before August 1st
- Provide a forwarding address/details to agent
- Return 3x set of keys
- Do any mail redirects with Auspost
- Update address for all known businesses (banks, amazon, etc)
- Clean everything as per guide
- Empty the storeroom and garage
Outline for rent payments and utilities
Rent is paid fortnightly on Thursday, and it's paid in advance, ie. for the fortnight that we're about to enter. It's important that we get this in on time because we can't afford to hit the weekend and have the agent hassling us.
Rent is currently $560 per week, so we pay $1120 each fortnight. The extra amount we pay goes to utilities and other expenses (eg. we've previously bought a new washing machine, and we might replace the fridge one day if we get around to it).
Weekly | Fortnightly ------------------------------------- Room Primary $240 | $480 Room Secondary $200 | $400 Room Secondary $200 | $400 | TOTAL IN $640 | $1280 Rent -$560 | -$1120 Utilities misc -$ 80 | -$ 160 REMAINING $ 0 | $ 0
The utilities contribution used to be an even $30/wk each, but after the rent increased from 550/wk to 560/wk we just absorbed it into the utilities account.
The utilities split is now 6/5/5, or $30/$25/$25 per week ($60/$50/$50 per fortnight).
Used to cover electricity (account with AGL) and internet (TPG). We've also used it to cover incidental expenses before such as buying a new modem-router, new washing machine, tools for repairs, consumables like dishwasher detergent and laundry powder, etc. Pass me a receipt for anything you need to buy and I'll reimburse you.
As of 2018-02-26:
The AGL account will be moved over from Adrian's name, effective from Tuesday 2018-02-27 which is the start of the next billing cycle. I have the money in my account to pay the previous bill (period ending 21st Feb). It's for $903.09, so about $10/day, a wee bit high >_>
- We use about 32.48 kWh per day, and we pay $0.29 per kWh. There's also a service fee of ~$77 per quarter, then they discount the bill by about 13% if you pay on time.
TPG internet is $60 a month. The account is in Adrian's name, and it's in the process of being moved to me, just waiting for them to confirm our paperwork. We're out of contract so we can freely churn to another ISP if we want. Speeds likely can't be improved, but there's the possibility of less congestion at peak times or maybe lower latency etc, if you moved to someone like Internode.
- Not sure what the plan details are, I think we're on unlimited data
Notes from 2018-05-29:
- Just got the AGL bill for 27 Feb to 24 May (87 days), it's $650.31
- That's about $7.47/day (26.13 kWh/day), which is better than $10/day previously
- The breakdown is 2273kWh at $0.319 * 0.77 for direct debit discount, plus supply charge of 87 days * $0.924, plus 11.61 for admin changes
- Direct debit will hit on 15th June
- Your AGL electricity account number is: 7048 396 043
- Your energy plan is: AGL Set and Forget electricity
- Your meter identifier: NMI 41031320360
- Should get: 23% Direct Debit Discount, only on the kWh costs and not the supply charge
- Rate type: Variable
- Billed: quarterly
- Rate: $0.319 per kWh ($0.29 ex-GST)
- Supply charge: $0.924 per day ($0.84 ex-GST)
- Direct debited from kitty account, card 7000
- Transferred to Barney Desmond on 2018-02-26
- Enrolled under the plan called ADSL2+ Unlimited 24x7 with Home Phone
- Monthly fee is $59.99
- Looks like we're all paid up; last invoice was issued Feb 22nd, and paid. That invoice is for the month March 1st to March 31st.
- Direct debited from kitty account, card 7000
I opened two new account, one for receiving our rent payments and another to hold the utilities money.
I'll see if I can enable PayID on these accounts sometime.
Once rent is paid, I'll send the remaining $160 each fortnight into this account. Utilities will be paid from here, probably by direct debit with debit card, and any reimbursements will come from here.
Stuff to take care of
Fix my own automatic rent payments to point to new account
Wait for TPG account ownership transfer to be completed
Set new password and stuff on TPG account
Change AGL electricity payments to direct debit once new card arrives for utilities account
Setup TPG billing from utilities account
Move $400 for rent account to utilities account, this repays the money Adrian used to cover Jason's rent when he moved in (16 Feb - 1 Mar)
Jason's first proper rent payment due in by Thu 1st March so we can pay the real estate agent
- Adrian to contact real estate agent on Monday March 5th and get contract updated so it's not in his name
- Ongoing, Jason had last contact with the agent, it's still in limbo as we haven't finalised documents
- Don't need to proceed, we're vacating lol
Calendar for start of transfer period
Circled days are rent-payment days, everything fortnight on a Thursday.
MARCH Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa ( 1) 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 (29) 30 31
Because we pay in advance, each rent-payment day is the last day of the "cycle".
- 1st March pays for the 2nd to 15th
- 15th March pays for the 16th to 29th
- and so on
As long as money is in the account a couple days before rent-payment day, we should be fine.
On the Friday after each rent payment day, I'll move the remaining money ($160) to the utilities account.